It's November, and one question that comes up every year at this time is "should I try to sell my home during the holidays?"
My answer is if you need to sell your house, then YES!! There is no better reason better than your needs and timing. That comes first. But when you think further on the subject and timing, the smarter it seems. There is a "top ten" (actually eleven, take a bonus!) list sent to me by an agent friend of mine in Raleigh NC (thanks Michelle Edwards!) and I am shamelessly reposting it here. Enjoy, and feel free to share it with your sellers.
THE TOP 11 REASONS YOU SHOULD LIST YOUR HOME DURING THE HOLIDAYS....
11. Selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring, when many more houses are on the market for less money! This will allow you to sell high and buy low!
10. You can sell now for more money and we will provide for a delayed closing or extended occupancy until early next year!
9. Even though your house will be on the market, you still have the option to restrict showings during the six or seven days around the Holidays!
8. January is traditionally the month for employees to begin new jobs. Since transferees cannot wait until spring to buy, you need to be on the market during the Holidays to capture that market!
7. Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons!
6. Buyers have more time to look for a home during the holidays than they do during a working week!
5. Buyers are more emotional during the Holidays, so they are more likely to pay your price!
4. Houses show better when decorated for the Holidays!
3. Since the supply of listings will dramatically increase in January, there will be less demand for your particular home! Less demand means less money for you!
2. Serious buyers have fewer houses to choose from during the Holidays and less competition means more money for you!
And the Number One reason why you should list your home during the Holidays...
1. People who look for homes during the Holidays are more serious buyers!
So there you are. I have always heard that "... no one buys homes during the holidays.." As a matter of fact, it seems like Halloween is the last work day of the year for a lot of agents. I have always had a great November and December, maybe because there are fewer agents actually working? So I have modified that old saw- Nobody buys homes in November and December EXCEPT the people that need to buy in November and December!
Have a great holiday season!
Beaufort, South Carolina
843 321 9867